Tuesday 25 October 2011

The Time Traveler’s Wife

I just finished on my volunteer work in a charity shop. It was a busy day. There were a lot of people coming in and out of the shop to donate old clothes and accessories, buy some stuffs, and just looking around.

I was about to pass the door when I saw the bookshelves on my left. New stocks. I took a look. What caught my eyes was a novel, Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger written in. It is the same book I once saw my classmate Ana reading about two years ago.

It is a story of a couple who met when Henry was 36 and Clare was six when the latter is just eight years younger than the former. How? Because Henry suffers from a Chrono-Displacement Disorder. His genetic clock resets itself at times of emotional strain and he is wrenched from his present to the past. It is not purely a romantic novel revolving around love itself - but also describes real life - family, friendship and job.

I haven't finished reading it yet but it has visceral thrill that only a few novels provide. I'll get back on this book review as soon as I am done reading.

“As I wrap my hair in a towel I see myself blurred in the mirror by steam and time seems to fold over onto itself and I see myself as a layering of all my previous days and years and all the time that is coming and suddenly I feel as though I’ve become invisible. But then the feeling is gone as fast as it came and I stand still for a minute and then I pull on my bathrobe and open the door and go on.” - Clare Abshire

With Love,
Ariane

No comments:

Post a Comment