Monday 10 October 2011

Licensed to care

I had never thought of becoming a nurse. I always dreamt of having a major in Math or anything that would have me surrounded by numbers, statistics, structures, equations and the like. That is where I am (or was?) happy.

My National Career Assessment Examination result agreed with it when I had my Mathematical Ability scored out 98%. Well, my scores in other abilities are nearly the same anyway. I Yet, I ended up in nursing like most, for my family's joy.

The first year went good simply because the subjects are my favorite, Algebra, Chemistry, Physics (I actually did love Math and Science during my high school). Plus the Algebra professor was good (-looking. Haha)

But as semesters gone by, I wished the course would just be over. So I would get through my university’s day to day pain and hardships. And so I can start earning my own money, so Mum can stop working. But since it was not, I just did comply.

Then there comes the community exposure, the duties in different areas and health care establishments. I realized the path I’ve chosen taken, is not really easy after all. It is not a game to play. There are no rooms for mistake.

None of us like change, and adjustment is uncomfortable, but eventually we get there. As I did. Along the road of my college life, something clicked. I started to love nursing. It took on new meaning for me. I cherished my interactions with patients and families in crisis. I saw where each task fitted into the overall picture of caring.

And as graduation came closer, I wished I can stay longer. It was funny. I wanted it so badly but when it came fight before my hands, I craved for more days as a student nurse.

Nursing is a heart and soul experience. And passing the board exam and be registered is a huge honor for me, simply because I've gotten the chance to accomplish something I never thought I would. It's not always easy to do things your own way, but the payoff in the end sure is a lot more gratifying.

I can’t help myself thinking, what if I didn’t take up nursing? What should I be doing now? Would I be different from what I am now? Would I be happy? Maybe, I might be "normal"? And that's a scary thought.

It was a long difficult quest to get to where I am. And now, I have much more to look forward to.

With Love,
Ariane

No comments:

Post a Comment